Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Packing continued

I was going to pack the kitchen things tomorrow so we can at least still have breakfast tomorrow morning, but then I started wrapping some things this morning and just kept going! We worked so hard all day today packing and cleaning and I am exhausted. My feet hurt. I'm so not used to being on my feet anymore. When I taught older kids I used to be standing in the classroom most of the day, but with the littlies at the play school I did more crawling around on the floor than standing.

So we have basically packed up the WHOLE house today! All that's left is the bedding and towels. We have 17 boxes plus some things like the microwave and other big things that went back in their original boxes and will just have to go like that. The company was unable to supply us with boxes. It seems they don't actually have an office here, only in the UK, and could only bring boxes when they come to collect which would be a bit pointless. Tomorrow we have to go buy a couple more boxes to fit the duvets and pillows in.

We had our last dinner in the flat tonight (I kept one pot which will be packed with the bedding tomorrow!). We have some odd plates and mugs still out which we bought when we arrived. Will see if there's space to pack them otherwise I don't know. They stay here or go to the bin. It's only 3 plates and were the cheapest at Ikea when we got here. I'll try have my yoghurt and muesli out of a mug in the morning. I have to have breakfast and yoghurt and muesli's my favourite. Then we'll have our last dinner out in Zurich tomorrow night. Well that's the plan. Hopefully there won't be any last minute things to do tomorrow night. Our last two nights here in Switzerland we will be staying with friends who were so kind to help us out. It will be hard having to stay here after our stuff is all gone. If we had bedding and towels we could do it, but I just know we wont have space in our luggage to pack that when we leave.

Oh and the cleaning!! I have been vacuuming the ceiling, washing the bathroom tiles. I have never done so much intense cleaning ever. Here in Switzerland when you move out of your flat you either pay a huge amount of money to have a cleaning company come clean your flat (and I have heard people having to pay over a thousand francs) or you do it yourself. Well I can now see why they charge so much. It's hard work. You've probably figured out which one we chose. We're doing it ourselves. And you have to do it properly or you don't get all your deposit back. Andre has been a huge help. He is actually so much better at cleaning than I am. I guess anyone can clean but when he does something he does it properly. I don't. I actually have to ask him to come and check if I'm doing ok because I know I get lazy and then do a half*** job. And then he will come and re-do it and then I get upset. So I just let him come stand behind me and check up! Andre already washed all the windows and shutters and the Wintergarten which is the enclosed balcony.

Did I tell you the new tenants have bought our bed and the two sets of drawers? That helps so we don't have to take all that apart for the move. But they didn't want the wardrobe :-( Andre is not keen on dismantling that. I mailed them again tonight to ask if they wont take it. Andre is now even happy to give it away. It's just too big and heavy to move. And apparently has loads of little screws to take out. There is no way anyone can carry this thing down three flights of stairs in one piece.

Ok, I'm going to try go to sleep now. Sorry no pictures today, we were too busy! I'm probably going to dream about packing and about boxes! On Tuesday this will all be over! Oh we're flying Thursday morning :-)

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha - I can totally relate. Isaiah is much more thorough at cleaning than I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estelle says: What a job - the two of you must be so exhausted! Hope you get your deposit back fully. Enjoy you last days in Switz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sjoe, nou le 'n nuwe fase van julle lewe, vol baie ander opwinding, voor. Wat 'n voorreg en groot geleentheid. Alle voorspoed en geniet die laaste dae/ure in Switzerland. Liefde Chris & Marietjie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dankie! Meubels is nou vanoggend hier weg, so nou is dit nog net ons wat moet gaan!

    ReplyDelete