Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cold and damp

This morning on our way out I asked Andre if he wants me to put his sunglasses in my handbag. He just laughed and asked me if I was joking.

It's been grey outside the whole day yesterday and today. The light outside doesn't change. It's a very different cold. In Switzerland I was never really cold. You had the icy cold in your face when you went outside but my body always felt warm. I didn't ever wear layers of clothing. A thin long sleeve top with my winter coat over plus hat, scarf, gloves and boots and I was warm enough. But here I feel like I did when I lived in Cape Town. The cold goes under your skin and you can't get it out. At the moment I'm wearing three long sleeve tops with a vest underneath. Jeans and thermal underwear. And two pairs of socks. I've got permanent goose bumps. I guess I'll get used to it. I hope. 

I'm not complaining, I will like it here. Saying 'will' because I haven't seen or experienced much yet. But this weather is making my hair terribly frizzy again!! Also a problem I had in Cape Town's damp winters. The dry air in Switzerland made my hair smooth and pretty and shiny. Bad hair does not make me feel good. I don't think any amount of anti-frizz products will make much of a difference. And I do use a straightener. It doesn't last long when you go outside.

Ok, I just had to tell you about that. I know I will be comparing a lot of things with the way things were in Switzerland. I think living a year in a country is just long enough to start getting used to that way of living. But comparing makes it interesting. We compared SA to Switz. when we got there too.

Also, I am surprised at how few pedestrian crossings there are here. There will be a bus stop and then no crossing. And on a busy road too. How do you get across? You just have to risk your life and run? I will find out and let you know. Speaking of buses, we passed a bus stop on our walk yesterday. Guess how many times a day you can catch the bus? Five times! Not every ten minutes or so like in der Schweiz. So plan your journey well. No just walking and getting the next bus. It might take a few hours. But then I must add, we are not in London. But then I must add too, we were also not in Zurich. You can get public transport anywhere any time in Switzerland.

I am looking forward to having a car again :-)

So enough of that. Let me see what pictures I have to show you.


Yesterday Andre and I took a walk in to Wokingham. It was about a 40 minute walk from where we're staying with our friends. And a lovely town.


Today we drove to Marlow and walked around there. It's on the river and also beautiful.


We had coffee (hot chocolate for me) at a coffee shop and afterwards I was looking at the front of the menu lying on the table and saw this:


We can't get away from it!


2 comments:

  1. Summer is coming! Chin up!
    Ma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure summer is on its way - hang in there!! Ma Melkbos

    ReplyDelete