André and I drove to Murg this weekend. It's a small village on the Walensee in canton St. Gallen. At first we missed the turn off because it's such a small place! We stayed at the Loft Hotel which used to be a spinning mill, but was converted into apartments and the hotel a few years back. It's very modern. There are even two biker rooms where you can drive your motorbike into your room! We stayed on the first floor where we had a beautiful view over the lake. The lake is stunning with the mountains right against it on the opposite bank. It's amazing waking up in the morning and seeing this view when you open your eyes.
I've made a short video of our pictures from the weekend. No descriptions with the pictures in the video so I'll tell you a bit more here first. The pictures start with our drive to Murg. We set the navigator to avoid the motorways so we had a really scenic drive through all the small towns and right along the Zurich lake. I still can't get enough of all the GREEN here!!
Then there's our room at the Loft Hotel and the view from our room. We had a little reading corner (or TV watching corner) and I loved that couch/ bed!
Then there's lots of pictures down by the lake. There's a camping site which looked great. We used to enjoy camping back in South Africa so maybe next summer we'll try the camping here. So with all the campers there was great atmosphere on the beach. A pile of wood was there since early on Saturday which was lit when it got dark.
For lunch we went to the hotel's restaurant just down the road, also on the lake. This restaurant was booked for a wedding that evening so I'm glad we got to try it for lunch. Before dinner we tried the hotel's other restaurant which is a more casual place, selling pizza and salads. We had some cocktails there before going to the beach where the fireworks were going to be. There were stalls selling food and drinks. I got a pizza and burnt my mouth terribly because I couldn't wait!
We sat on the beach watching the fireworks display. Beautiful! And we had perfect weather too. André had a swim in the lake earlier in the afternoon. Apparently it is one of the lakes with the cleanest water in Switzerland and André reported that he felt really clean after his swim!
Ok, watch the video now and enjoy the fireworks!
Oh, I just noticed for some reason the video is not playing here on the blog. Don't know why. You can go see it here on vimeo.
On Sunday, before heading home we drove up to Flumserberg. We're looking for places to go skiing this winter and I've read about this place. Any other skiing recommendations Swiss readers? I've never tried skiing and am even scared of going in a ski lift so it must be a beginner friendly place!!

Flumserberg
Flumserberg is a good place and is the closest to Zurich - there's even a direct S2 train in the mornings in winter from HB. But if you're a total beginner then I wouldn't pay the price of a pass for Flumserberg - I would go to the Einsiedeln area after a big snow and find a few of the individual ski lifts and smaller hills there. Cheaper, and afterwards you can just zip over to Einsiedeln village and sit in a cafe to warm up and reward yourself for your effort. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips Romy! I will have a look at Einsiedeln and start building up the courage for winter! I really hope I will enjoy the skiing, I'm not one for adventure sports or anything to do with heights or speed, but I'll give it a try.
ReplyDeleteThanks again! :-)
The International Ski Club of Zurich has a ski school at Flumserberg which worked great for me when I lived in ZUrich [1999 - 2004]. They have a geat web site and the price was very reasonable. My friends and I went back to Flumserberg a couple of times on our own.
ReplyDelete