My biggest worry before we moved to Switzerland was who was going to do my hair! (And it still is.) I had lots of highlights. Lots. My hairdresser spent about 4 hours every 5 or 6 weeks to keep my hair looking naturally blond.
I started going to Dalene when I was 8 years old. That's 21 years at the same hairdresser! And I never had to sit there worrying what my hair would look like when I walk out of her salon. She's good. If you're ever in Table View/ Cape Town area and need a hairdresser, ask me for her number. But try to book ahead, I'm not the only one who thinks she's the best. Here's a picture of us in her salon. She's doing my hair for my wedding here. *sigh* I miss those wedding days... And the blond hair...
There are so many hairdressers here in Switzerland. Today I counted them walking back home from the grocery store and I counted 9! Nine! And the grocery store is not far. Only about a 5 minute walk. There's a coiffure on every corner and more in between. Here's the newest addition, Tessie's Coiffure, which is just around the corner from where we live, the first one I pass on my way to the shops.
But even though there are so many to choose from I still have not been to a hairdresser since we moved to Switzerland. It's been 4 months now... Oops.
But don't worry, my hairdresser back home did some magic before I left and my hair still looks good enough. I said good bye to half of my highlights before leaving South Africa and Dalene replaced them with darker streaks, actually the exact same shade of my natural colour. So even after 4 months you can hardly see the re-growth, it blends in really well.
Dalene said I must not worry. Swiss hairdressers are very good. They are known to go through a lot of training. But neither of us knew then that most of these many hairdressers aren't Swiss. Tessie on the corner here is Asian. And at the place André went to they're all Turkish. Not that I mind where they're from, but does it then mean they're as good as the Swiss? And as good as Dalene?
If I had the kind of money where I could just fly anywhere, I would fly to Cape Town to go see Dalene. So she can do my hair for me. I really really don't want to go to anyone else. But I will have to. Eventually. Soon. Very soon. My hair is getting quite long now and one of these beautiful summer mornings I know I'm going to wake up and it's going to be too long. It's going to bother me. And then I'm going to cut half of it off. And keep my eyes closed while they do my highlights and pray that it turns out well.
I will let you know after I've been. I'm thinking maybe next week. (But I said that a few weeks back too...)
I know what you mean about not wanting to go to a hairdresser here. My main deal is the language barrier and my fear of not properly communicating what I want.
ReplyDeleteI arrived in CH late Sept. 08 and didn't get a haircut until a home visit in May 09. Yes, I waited 8 months. Never again. I must suck it up.
I have been really impressed with the hairdressers we have been to so far. I even go to/went to the one that is just around the corner from where I live, expecting it to be a bit dodgy, but they could not be more professional. I love the cuts. Jace loves the cuts. They manager calls after the first appointment to see if everything was ok, and they are just great... so go for it! Try one out or go on Yahoo Expat Group to get a referral... there are lots of posts about this subject there, too! :)
ReplyDeleteI can totally identify with your hesitance. I've had some serious hair disasters since being in Switzerland and only recently got the hang of how to deal with them best.
ReplyDeleteMy advice to you when you do go is to be sure of what you want done and to tell them very clearly. I miss being able to go into a salon and tell the stylist, "just do something different, have fun" A Swiss hairdresser will never do that, they want to be told exactly what to do, they even ask if they can use conditioner on your hair... That said, I'm quite happy with my current salon, good luck!
I have been regretting my short hair (which needs frequent cuts to look good) since I got here in March. I made it until the end of May and couldn't stand it anymore. Also at that point my color was gone.
ReplyDeleteI go to an Aveda salon at home and really like the products they use, so I've tried two here. The first one was excellent (Eddine Belaide) for both cut and color but just scary expensive. The second was half that price, but nearly so good a cut--okay but not great. There's one more that's up the street.
Both stylists spoke English, but the best result was when I brought a picture of my last cut in the states with me.
Nazanne was Vrydag vir haar eerste kleur en knip by Delene en sy is BAIE tevrede. So ja ons stem saam oor Delene!Elaine
ReplyDelete*sidder* Ek gaan al na Antoinette (Carinette) vandat ek 9 jaar oud was. Jy kan maar self daai sommetjie maak! Ek het net vanoggend in die spieel gestaar en so bietjieste veel grys gesien... gelukkig is sy net 'n paar lane van my af en nie 'n hele kontinent nie.
ReplyDeleteSterkte!
Groetnis,
Ek weet hoe jy voel. Ek is ook al vir die laaste paar jaar by dieselfde haarkapster. Sy het al `n paar keer van haarsalon verander, en elke keer laat sy my weet waarheen sy skuif en dan volg ek haar. Sterkte hoop jy kry gou `n nice ene!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for all the sympathy, encouragement and tips everyone!! Will let you know as when I've been. I shouldn't say it because I keep saying it, but maybe tomorrow I'll go make an appointment! Or maybe the day after..
ReplyDelete