Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I survived my first haircut!

I finally did it! Went for my first visit to the hairdresser here in Switzerland. I decided to go to the one André went to a while back. There are many hairdressers working there and the girl who did my hair was really nice. Nice is important to me. You have to be nice to me if you're going to do my hair. My hairdresser in cape Town was very very nice to me. So this girl is from Kosovo, click the link to see a map if you don't know where it is. I didn't.

She understood what I wanted. I had to speak German as none of them speak any English but we understood each other. She kept asking me "Ist es gut?" (Is it good/ Are you ok?) which they actually pronounce here more something like "Ish gut?" So she scored points for checking on me. She scored bonus points when she told me my German is very good, after I told her it's not just so she understand she shouldn't even try speaking Swiss German to me. She reckons in half a year my German will be perfect! That's good news, but I'm not so sure. Maybe if I visit her once a week for a chat in German.

Now to get to the actually cutting and coloring. I've been used to spending 3-4 hours at the hairdresser for my highlights. This morning I was there for just over an hour only. Not complaining about that because I don't like sitting there for long. It took her only 10 minutes to put the highlight stuff with the foils on my hair! TEN minutes! That's a record. I explained that I only wanted half a head highlights, so that's only the top which shows when my hair is down and the sides which shows when my hair is tied up. And that she did. In about 50 min less time than it took my hairdresser back home. But then she did not do it nearly as carefully. It looks fine actually, but Delene back home made it look perfectly natural and blended in, strand by tiny strand. And I have a lot of hair. I always felt bad asking Delene to do a full head of highlights for me.

The colour is not exactly what I was hoping for but it could have been worse. And I think this might actually blend in even more with my natural color. I'm not going to post a picture. I'm sure Andre will capture me with the new lens he's getting this weekend soon enough to show you what it looks like.

My hair is now also a whole lot shorter which feels better. Strange but better. It was very long and now it's just on my shoulders. So a big difference. I do like some change.

I wont have my hair blow-dried at the hairdresser again. They don't get it as straight as I like it. I came home and immediately got the straightener out. If I don't it's all fuzzy and all over the place.

It cost me Sfr. 90 for highlights, cut and blow-dry which I feel is not that bad. That's R673, double what Delene charged me but she did not ever charge me very much. At any other salon in SA I expect I would have paid around the same as I did here today.

So after being so nervous and scared and sitting there all tensed up, it was actually not that bad.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... 90 francs? That's cheaper than the US!!

    At any rate, I am glad you had a nice experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do other salons charge around here? I didn't shop around, I just chose this one because my husband went there and it's walking distance from our flat and the salon looked good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good girl. I can't wait to see a photo. Sounds lovely.

    I am getting my hair cut and colored next weekend. I will tell you what it costs afterwards but I have very thick hair too. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I've been paying way too much...

    ReplyDelete