This time the theme was pirates and water. I don't know much about pirates and they've never interested me. They are bad and violent people and I wouldn't choose to teach kids about this, but if you leave the violent part out, kids do like to play pirates, especially the boys. (The girls enjoyed trying on the jewelry in the treasure chest.)
We had a pirate ship in the one classroom in which the kids could play with a treasure chest with some 'treasures' in, which they could fight over. Each time I would take it away and hide it in a drawer. By the 3rd day they would bring me the treasure chest themselves to hide when a fight breaks out! Proper pirates!!
We made all the accessories pirates need- hats, telescopes, treasure maps and so on with a treasure hunt on the last day. We also learnt a bit about water- the water cycle and fish. Here's the scene from the story "Drippy the raindrop" about the water cycle.

There were 22 3-5 year olds from 8:30 - 16:30 with 2 teachers and an assistant. Again it was a bilingual course and I of course did the English part. The assistant was a great help and could speak perfect English too.
I did enjoy it but am glad it was only three days. On Tuesday evening I was totally exhausted. André laughed at me because all I could do was sit and stare. Went to bed early and just lay there! I couldn't even hold up a book to read!
When I woke up on Wednesday morning I was wondering why my legs felt as though I've done a really tough gym class, sore muscles like when you've had a proper workout. Then I realized it's from bending down all day long to these little kids and squatting on the floor beside them!
I am really appreciating the day off today! I had a lazy morning, didn't even walk with André to the station this morning. André cleaned the whole house on Tuesday when he was home (and he does a better job than I do actually) so I don't even have house work to do. Such a good husband I have :-)
Ugh! Sounds like grueling work! But, fantastic that it was just three days...
ReplyDeleteAlong the lines of pretend pirates without the violence, there's International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19th. This started as a local joke in my home region (NW US).
ReplyDeleteI found this page on talking like a pirate in German.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howtogerman.html
and a little sound snippet
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/sounds/German_pirate.mp3
Here's a video from the pirate guys (not for the kids).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKCkbWDGwE
22 3-5 year-olds and 2 teachers?!!! Wow.
Kathy