Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How to weigh your fruit in Switzerland:


Last night I got directions to another grocery store here called Migros. The one I shopped at yesterday, Denner, is quite small but closer to where we're staying. So off I go to explore the other side of the river. The pictures are taken from the bridge on my way to the other side.

It's quite a bit of a walk to get to the bridge, I
must find out if there isn't a bridge closer. Anyway it's a really nice walk, fine weather (I wore 3/4 pants today, t-shirt and sandals!) and I can do with
the exercise.

So my directions takes me quite a distance through the residential area. I'm thinking it doesn't look like
there could be any shops in this area but anyway, I admire the houses, tulips and pretty trees.

But then after a while my shoes start hurting me and I've had quite enough of the houses, flowers and trees. I decide to give up, try a
different route back as I thought I could see the main road lower down
closer to the river, and decide to again shop at
Denner. (I only had a choice of about 3 brands of shampoo there yesterday... but that's ok, it turned out to be a good shampoo & cond. My hair is smelling nice!)

Anyway, I've hardly turned off the road I was on to go back home when I saw this sign!





This is another grocery store and with it was a whole little shopping centre. Don't expect much, I'm serious when I say little. So I shopped here at Coop. (Pronounced co-op, not the coop you keep chickens in.)

Ok now about the fruit and veggies. First there are 2 types of bags so I'm not sure which to use. I walk around and around the fruit area with an empty basket, pretending to look at the fruit but actually spying on the other shoppers to learn how
to do this. I get the correct packet. Now I have to weigh my bananas. I see another lady on her way to weigh her kiwi fruit so I stand sort of behind her trying to see what she's doing. The weighing computer thing is quite similar to ours in SA, but it only has buttons with numbers on. Nowhere does it say bananas. Ok so somewhere there must be a number for the bananas. I see a red number one above the bananas, stroll around again to check this number thing out on the other fruit. They're all numbered. Back to the scale, I press 1 and it says bananas! Ta-ra! And gives me a sticker too. Yay I weighed my bananas successfully!

I bought some yoghurt, ready made dinners for the microwave and also these eggs:

They are for Easter time. Boiled chicken eggs. Normal chicken egg inside.
Some of the chicken eggs are white, that's why the colour comes out so nice on them. Apparently it's a different kind of chicken to the one's laying the beige eggs.

Oh and last thing! Look what else I found! It wasn't easy.
Haha! This makes me happy :-) Plain rooibos tea, even a Cape Town mix whatever that may mean. Haven't actually tasted it yet but I'm hoping it will be close to the Rooibos from home. Even the same price as all the many other teas. I thought it might be more expensive coming from Cape Town. They have sooo many flavoured teas/ herbal teas. All I wanted was plain rooibos. I'm going to make a cup now and test it.

xx



2 comments:

  1. Dit proe vir my amper so bietjie lekkerder as ons die plain rooibos in SA. Ruik ook lekkerder.

    ReplyDelete