Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Do the Swiss really want to rent out their apartments or do they just enjoy posting ads?

Yesterday I encountered the first person here who was not prepared to speak English to me. Up to now I've been really surprised at how well everybody can speak English, even older people, which is not usually the case in Germany. And they are actually really eager to speak English when they hear your German is 'nicht so gut'. We would still try a German word here and there and say "Auf Wiedersehen" when we leave a shop, but no they are going to use this chance to practise their English all the way till we're out the door! Really really nice of them. Makes us feel more welcome here.

But over the telephone it seems to be a different story. I can understand that. It's more difficult understanding someone in a foreign language when you're not face to face. You can't use body language to help you make sense of what's being said. 

So yesterday I called to set up an appointment to go see a flat in Schlieren. I'm already going to see one at 16:30 so I want to try set up a few more appointments while I'm going to be there. I phone Herr E. since he doesn't seem to have email like the rest of us. I've looked up and translated my first few sentences so I start off well in German. Then ask if I may speak English. He says "nein, Düütsh". Which is Swiss German for Deutsch. Not sure if he wanted me to speak Swiss german or German, but there's no way I know anything in Swiss German except for Grüezi (Hello). So off I go in my best German. Ask if we could come on Saturday, he says "schlect" (bad). Thursday afternoon then? "Schlecht." Oh well, then I've got plenty others to see in that town. And anyway, the bathroom tiles were an awful shade of brown, floor and walls, all of it. Some of these places are just very different to what we're used to! Different culture, different taste I guess.

I've been hoping to get email replies to the messages I sent on the website, but nope. Nothing. So number two on my list is Frau S. Also doesn't want to speak English. Instead, after I tell her ok but my german is not very good but I'll try, she goes babbling on at top speed in what I assumed was German. I got a word here and there. Waited patiently for her to finish. Then asked again, so can we come see the apartment? Uh no, she doesn't have her diary with her. She'll call me back.

Now I can't yet call number three because I have to see if number two will be able to see us after we see number one. If I had a car and knew where I was going it might be easier. I have very carefully planned my route with the help of google maps and worked out the times it will take to get from one to the next.

Oh I just want to get this part over. I really hope we'll have a place by the end of this week.

Last thing, about them not being all that keen on showing their apartments they advertise to rent, number one also didn't give any options of when we can come and view. It's Thursday at 16:30 and that's it. That's when everybody who's interested must come. 

It will feel so good to finally have our own place... Better keep on looking then!

                                     
                                mbcn1017l.jpg


4 comments:

  1. nice blog lady of the Swiss land

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Switzerland is a different story to Germany.. specially culture wise. Also they did not take part of World War II what finally menas that there ist still quite a bit of very old building structure. But I trust in you that you will get the right place finally!

    Oder soll ich jetzt besser in Deutsch weiterschreiben, um Deine Sprachkenntnisse etwas zu trainieren, aber das hilft wenig, denn mein Switzerdütsch ist auch nicht weit her...

    ReplyDelete