Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chimney sweep

We just had our chimney swept. For some people it might be strange that I'd be blogging about something like this, but to us South Africans it's not something we're used to. Chimneys just don't get swept in SA as far as I know. Any South African readers out there ever had your chimney swept? Do leave me a comment and let me know.

So this was the first time I've ever witnessed this being done. I was a little disappointed, but also relieved for the person doing it, that they didn't actually have to go down the chimney. Didn't they get little kids to do that long ago?

We expected it to be messy and Andre told me to have the vacuum cleaner ready (which I didn't..) but they worked so carefully. They taped the fireplace shut with what looked like a coat and threaded the brush though the one sleeve. They covered the carpet with a large sheet and afterwards vacuumed the fireplace too.

I went looking for that musical where I might have gotten the idea of chimney sweepers going down the chimney and coming out with faces smeared black. I found this one and remembered how much I enjoyed this musical. I love the laughing bit where they float up in the air. Do you know what I'm talking about? Makes me want to giggle too.






So anyway, we now have a clean chimney and a certificate to prove it. We're prepared for winter (which hopefully won't come soon!)

PS I was tempted to take pictures to show you, but they would have really thought I'm weird. They must have already wondered why I stood watching them the whole time. I did explain to them why!

1 comment:

  1. Estelle says: Ken nie so iets nie - Op die plaas was die skoorsteen kastig skoongemaak vir vader Krismis om in af te kom - ons het dit geglo!

    ReplyDelete