Saturday, February 20, 2010
Valentine's dinner
Last weekend we went for a Valentine's dinner with friends. Andre and I spend all our time together so we didn't feel the need to have a romantic dinner, just the two of us. We do that every night at home. (He even lights candles! Lucky me :-)
A friend recommended the White Elephant to us. A Thai restaurant in the Marriott Hotel in Zürich. Before dinner we had cocktails at the hotel bar. A good bar with good cocktails. I liked the decor - leather couches etc. We could start rating cocktails with the amount we've been drinking since coming to Switzerland. Now I don't mean we've been drinking a lot. Actually we're not used to having much alcohol anymore since we don't have many friends to party with here! But when the guys drink beer, it's either wine for me or something nice like a cocktail. Pina Colada is my favourite by far so I've been comparing pina coladas all over Zurich!
The restaurant was lovely. We ordered a mixture of starters to share which was just amazing. Spicy papaya salad, spicy beef salad, spring rolls, fish cakes and prawns wrapped and fried with potato noodles. Absolutely divine. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures at the table. I really wanted to. It was hard not to. But I thought I should control myself for a change and not take so many pictures of everything. Just enjoy it. And we had friends. They might think I'm weird. I don't want that!
After that great starter we expected more of the same kind of food. The curries were good, because we like any curry, but it was not spectacular like the starter. And I was particularly sad when I ordered duck and got chicken... You know how I am. When I see duck on a menu I don't have to read any further. I didn't want to send it back and have to wait so I ate the chicken.
I decided to have dessert to make up for missing out on the duck. I had a scoop of green tea ice cream and a scoop vanilla. And it came with some traditional Thai ice cream toppings in separate bowls: sticky rice and two sweet fruity things. I think one was orange pieces in a syrup.
Next time I will order the starter for two as my main course!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment