Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Watch out for the Polizei


Today I was on my way home from work, changing trains at HB like I do everyday. Except today as I got on the train I was welcomed by nine members of the Swiss Polizei. They stood at the entrance of the very first carriage. I was curious and wanted to see what's happening so found a seat right in front where I can watch them.

As soon as the train left the station they started walking towards the back of the train. The second last person, a lady stopped by my seat and said "bkflicnlsdh bitte." (There was one more quite large police man behind her for back up.) The lady opposite me took out her train ticket so I did the same, even though I wasn't so sure that this was what they wanted to see. She smiled and said "Nein, sdjkdcijnjsdn Ausweiss?" So I tried showing my other ticket: my brand new permit. Yep, that's what she wanted. They were checking everyone's ID's, making sure you were legal.

After reading my permit thoroughly she handed it back. Phew. What would I have done if this happened 3 weeks earlier?! I wouldn't want to be caught without identification, they were carrying guns...

So Swiss-expats, you've all probably heard that you're supposed to carry some form of identification with you at all times because you can be stopped in the street and asked for it. I know of some people who just don't bother carrying it with them. But I recommend you rather do.

I'm really glad this happened today, because if it didn't I would probably soon started leaving my permit at the bottom of a drawer somewhere at home. That's what I'm like. It's safer at home you know. But now I'll make sure I have it with me every day!

For those still waiting for their permits (like we did for 6 months..) I suggest you carry your passport and that piece of paper you get from the Gemeinde which says that you have applied for your permit. We never thought of doing this and I'm just very grateful we weren't checked before now!

Andre said I will be "put in a cage in Basel" for taking photos of the Polizei and their guns. But I had to show you some proof!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That would pretty much freak me out. I do always carry mine and carried my temporary Ausweis before.

    My paranoid scenario went something like this. I get stopped and asked for my permit (I try the ticket thing too). When I don't have it, I completely fail in my attempt to explain in German: No really, it's back at the apartment. Then I am in jail trying to get a phone call. Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estelle says:
    Soe Anneliese - gelukkig verstaan jy wat hulle praat - ek sou 'n senuwee wrak gewees het!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! They are really getting seroius about this permit stuff around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weet waar my hart sou geklop het met so 'n inspeksie. Die manne lyk sommer gevaarlik!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ek is veronderstel om my greencard op my te hou ter alle tye, maar dit le in a laai saam met my passpoort, nou weet ek hoekom ek dit op my moet he. lol Simone

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh boy. Nowadays I also have a Swiss passport, but I don't always have it with me - I haven't gotten my Swiss ID yet, usually carry my NY state driver's license, but I guess that woulnd't be good enough. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right. Now I really do want to be checked because I never leave home without my identification!

    ReplyDelete