Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Learning how to take good pictures

A few weeks ago, Andre brought home a Canon G11 camera. He felt that his SLR was too big and heavy to carry around on our touristy outings here in Switzerland when we just want to take some snap shots, so that's how the G11 got to move in with us.


Andre has spent a lot of time reading up about photography, practising and teaching himself, learning through trial and error by taking hundreds and hundreds of photos.


And he's taken some nice ones.


In SA he used to spend a lot of time doing bird photography. On our honeymoon we spent some hours in a canoe following Malachite Kingfishers!


Twice he has tried explaining to me about f-stops and ISO and aperture but I'm not a good auditory learner. Not at all. I learn through doing. And doing it myself. Don't tell me. Don't even show me. I wont understand and I'll loose interest. I get impatient because I don't have a clue what he's talking about. Then I just say "Okay" and I snap away in my own way. Like this:


But now I've decided I want to really learn how to use this new camera. It can do much more than just snapping randomly. And I'm going to teach myself. Well I'm going to try. I'm going to do some reading so I can also understand about f-stops and light and all that. And I'm going to start with reading this blog here by the Pioneer Woman. I love her blogs, the way she writes, and her photos. You should go check out her blog. Not just the photography sections, go read her actual daily blog. I haven't actually read any of her photography posts but tonight I'm starting. This will be my new project and hopefully soon I will be able to post some of my own good photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment