This is really getting to me now. These Swiss Germans. The Swiss who live in the German part of Switzerland. They speak such good English. We didn't find the same in the French part, there I don't think we found anyone willing to say more than two words in English and then only to sell us something. But here it's amazing. It's actually starting to work on my nerves a little. I don't know if it is frustration because I can't speak German properly or if it's just jealousy because they can speak my language better than I can speak theirs. In their own country.
Today I was on a tram. Relaxing in between teaching little highly energetic kiddies. When an elderly lady got on. She found a seat about three rows in front of me and started talking loudly to herself and whoever wanted to listen. Really loudly. And she was looking all around her. I though if someone makes eye contact with her she would probably start talking to that person so nobody was paying her any attention. But since I couldn't understand a word she was saying (Swiss German is NOT even close to German) I sat watching her.
The lady behind me tapped me on my shoulder. I was quite surprised because people won't really start up a conversation with a stranger on a tram or train. Besides this lady in front of me obviously! So I feel this tap on my shoulder and I think Oh, leave me to my own English thoughts because it's such a mission trying to string together a sentence in German, never mind to try and follow someone's initial sentence in Swiss German when they think I'm local. But to my relief she asked, "Do you speak some English?" I said, "YES!" with a big smile!
She wanted to know what that lady was saying. I said I didn't have a clue. Then the guy next to me turned to us and said in very good English (as the Swiss Germans do), "She is only talking about different things. She is not making any sense. But it is quite funny."
We said Oh, and wished we could understand what she was saying that was quite so funny. Then I went back to my feelings of frustration and jealousy at my lack of German and the Swiss German's ability to speak English.
When the English lady behind me got off the tram she turned to this other lady and said, "Have a nice day." The lady turned to her and spoke in really good English (what did I expect.) Even though something was not quite well with her she was still able to understand that this person is speaking to her. In English. And able to immediately reply in English. Even though she still did not make sense...
How do they do it? It's really bugging me. Before we came here I was excited to not only live in a different country but to also improve my German. It's not happening. Or if it is, it's not happening fast enough. I'm thinking of just giving up and speaking English only. Yesterday I spoke to someone who's been here 10 years and still don't speak German fluently because she can get by well enough with English. It's just that I don't like making mistakes. I want to get it right or not speak it at all.
If there are any Swiss (from the German part) reading this I'd like to say I am really impressed. :-)
Well, like what most people would say, learning German in Switzerland is not going to be easy; we are not getting the "full immersion" and exposure to the spoken German. I do agree with that. But, we can try to work on our German literacy, can't we? At least, that's why I tell myself. Conversing with someone here is something I cannot fathom, really. Old ladies at the tram stop would tell me things in Swiss German, and all I could ever do was smile and nod and inject 'Genau's and 'Aha's, wherever it seems appopriate, hoping to catch the gist of it. One time, a lady was telling me about a spider and how she is fearful of them. (That was when I said "Ich auch".)
ReplyDeleteDon't give up learning the language. I am, like you, ashamed that the locals speak probably better English that I do!
Matt always finds it funny when he says on the phone, "Hello, do you speak English?" and they answer "No, only a little bit. I will go and find somebody who does" ...in perfect English!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement Juanita, I won't totally give up!
ReplyDeleteRomy, I know!! We say the same thing! So many times people say they can speak only a little English, but then they speak perfect English. I always tell them their English is way better than my German.
Ohne dass man es wirklich merkt, spricht man doch mit der Zeit immer ein klein bisschen besser Deutsch! Aber es nimmt Zeit! 7 Jahre später und es gibt noch viele, viele Fehler, vor allem mit der Grammatik! Mach so weiter, Anneliese, Juanita und Romy!
ReplyDelete