I didn't get the full time Kindergarten teaching job in Horgen. Although the money would have been good having a full time job, I was a little relieved. I would have had to leave the house everyday while André is still asleep. Just thinking about the traveling already made me tired.
Last week Monday I found an add for teaching English here in Dietikon. Isn't that great, it's a 10 min walk from our flat. So I sent off my CV and immediately got a call back and had an interview the next day. All went well and I joined the class on Thursday. Hang on I think I've told you this before... let me check.. no can't find it, I must have emailed this story to someone that's why it's starting to sound familiar now. So anyway, I went to see what the class is like. It was great, 8 little kids, 6-7 years old. I just went to observe the lesson but also had fun joining in all the activities for the hour. Now that's the thing.. it's only one hour a week so I'll have to find more part time teaching jobs. Can't only be working for one hour a week! I got the job and we now just have to wait for my permit which should arrive soon soon. I am allowed to work since I've got an EU passport, but it's best we wait for all the papers and make sure I'm legal.
I'll be substituting 2 classes in June here in Dietikon and another 2 closer to Zurich, also in June with this company. It's a great start and hopefully more work will come from them. Oh, this is teaching English as a foreign language. Most of these kids can not yet speak or understand much English.
Then I've also posted on 2 expat sites that I teach English lessons and got good feedback from that. So this weekend I created my own website with all my details on to email to those interested in lessons.
Tomorrow I'm seeing a mother who is also interested in lessons. They're American so the kids can speak English (obviously), but will be attending a local school and she wants them to also start learning to read and write in English. (At the local school they will learn German with English only as a second language at a basic level.) She already has a venue and possible others who might be interested in English first language lessons.
Besides that, I'm keeping myself busy today by sorting out my files on my laptop. I'm converting all my .doc files (which came from my windows pc) to pages to use on my mac. It's quite a pain when you accidentally click on a .doc file and it starts up windows. It takes forever and everything comes to a standstill.
I walked André to the train station this morning. It was such a beautiful morning. A lovely sunny day today. I've opened up all the windows in the Wintergarten so the house feels nice and fresh.
I also took a walk to the recycling bins where I dropped off our empty tins and wine bottles (only 2!) of the past two weeks. I think I should take another walk. I'm not getting enough exercise...
That sounds like great progress in your job hunt! Superb idea on teaching English to a bunch of children at a convenient venue, I say. Congrats!
ReplyDelete