Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

RHS Wisley Gardens

*Does the video in the post lower down automatically start playing when you open my blog? It does that to me and I don't like it. I'm hoping that as it moves down the page and gets pushed off to an older page it will stop...


On Sunday we took Andre's Dad and Marietjie to the Wisley gardens. It was our first time there too and we've been wanting to go for a while. Sunday was the perfect day for being outside. It was HOT! Very very hot! That doesn't happen very often over here so when it's hot, no matter how hot, we make sure we're outside so as not to miss it.

We were hardly there for 5 minutes when I decided my shoes need to come off. I got a few curious glances from the British. I guess it's not the norm, taking your shoes off in a garden. No one else did, besides maybe one or two little kids running around. But I didn't care. It was hot and the cool grass felt good underneath my feet.

The gardens were amazing. So much more and bigger than we expected. We spent over 3 hours there. Including an ice cream break.

There was an edible garden sections with lots and lots of fruit and veg. All different kinds of berries, my favourite! And even an apple orchard.

So here are a few of the photos Andre took on Sunday. I left my camera in the car. It was too hot to carry anything!


You can't really see from the picture, but these leaves
were huge. It's a giant rhubarb and they're from 50 million
years ago. Must have been dinosaur food!

Giant rhubarb leaf.

Andre's Dad & Marietjie in the rose garden.
So many different roses...

A bee.
I want to be a bee keeper!

Some exotic plants inside, including a rainforest, waterfall
and an 'underground' section on roots.

Resting in the shade.



A heron
Andre managed to do a little bit of bird photography too!

We'll definitely go back for another visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment