Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Castle Combe- "The prettiest village in England"


So says this website and it's definitely the prettiest I've seen so far. I'm sure there are many other pretty villages but I haven't really seen that many...


This little village in the south of the Cotswolds has also been used in some films and it looks like something out of a fairy tale.


Luckily our friends knew about the Manor House Hotel, otherwise we would have driven right past this beautiful place. It was built in the 14th century and has 48 rooms.


We went there for lunch,


then walked around their gardens which are so pretty we had our own little photo shoot there!! Imagine having a wedding here.... Andre said no, we're not getting married again..


They said we could leave our car in their parking lot while we walked around the village. The village is very small, really just one street. It has a population of about 350.


We saw many people walking up the hill as we first drove into the village on our way to the Manor House Hotel. So after lunch we wanted to go see where they were going. We walked and walked but saw no signs along the road giving clues to what might be the attraction that everyone was going to see. Eventually Sonya asked someone passing by where everyone is going to up the hill. He said they are going to the parking lot!!

So we walked back down. At least we got to walk off the lunch we had and were then able to go back to the hotel for cream tea. That means tea and scones here in England. The most delicious scones I have ever ever tasted.


Before the afternoon tea the guys also managed to find another geocache on the way. It had a travel bug in which we took out to go put in another cache somewhere else.



I'm busy uploading these pictures of our day at Castle Combe to facebook now, and I can't believe how many pictures we took of such a small village! I won't be able to put half of it on my blog so you'll have to go see on facebook if you want to see the rest. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, dis pragtig. So very "English"! Of soos ek my voorstel very english moet lyk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estelle says: Dit is pragtig - was in die Cotswolds vantevore - onbeskryflik mooi!!

    ReplyDelete