Andre and I, together with my sister and her friend, went to visit my dad and stepmom on their yacht, Madiba, in the British Virgin Islands for a week. We just got back on Friday morning. We had the most amazing time there. It's a different world over there with the clear blue (warm!) water, the islands, warm weather and being on a yacht on the ocean for the entire week. And it was fantastic spending time with my family again.
![]() |
| Tortola, Soper's Hole |
It's hard to know where to start telling you about our trip! When I think of the past week I see blue waters, cocktails, white beaches, fish...
I'll start at the beginning: Andre and I flew from Heathrow to Dallas. Those flights to the US are looong! But it was so worth it of course! We had about three hours in Dallas to stretch our legs. And that's what we did. We walked around and around the terminal, only sitting down for a short while to have a bite to eat.
We met my sister and her friend in Dallas and then all flew on together to San Juan, Puerto Rico where we spent the night in a hotel at the airport. The next morning after breakfast we boarded a small plane to take us to Tortola. This time only a 30 minute flight!
It was interesting landing at Tortola. The airport is actually on Beef Island which is connected to the main island, Tortola, by a bridge. The bridge is called The Queen Elizabeth II. Beef Island got it's name from previously being a cattle ranch.
Anyway, interesting because you walk literally a few minutes, maybe 200 or 300 meters, to the beach (Trellis Bay). It was the first time that I got picked up from an airport with a dinghy!
On the yacht we were given our first painkiller cocktails to taste. It took me a while to work out what was meant by "Would you like a painkiller?" I was thinking, ummm... I don't have a headache do I? Tell me why I need a painkiller again?
It is the name of the BVI's most famous cocktail. As said on this website: "It's illegal in the BVI not to try it's most famous drink!"
It's delicious! We had MANY! But it can be a dangerous drink as my dad explained to us. At some bars you can order a painkiller #1, #2, #3 or #4. I made sure to check that the #1 was the weaker one. If you don't ask you might just be given the #4 as mix is more expensive in the BVI than the liquor itself. I saw for myself how a barman poured a drink of rum by just about filling the cup with rum and then adding a dash of coke! So beware of very dangerous drinks in the BVI...
Sadly Andre's camera got water damage on the first day. Calling it water damage is an understatement. It really got absolutely soaked by a wave while on my lap on the front of the yacht while we were motoring to Cam Bay, Great Camanoe. The camera was so shocked by this treatment that it refused to take any more pictures the rest of the trip. Luckily it is insured and the insurance people will be collecting it on Wednesday to have someone look at it to decide whether to fix or replace it. A huge relief as Andre's camera costs a bit more than a point and shoot type camera... Next time the camera will be more prepared to go on a holiday like this one!
Day 2 to follow soon!









Fabulous! I'm jealous!
ReplyDeleteWe love visiting the Caribbean whenever we can. Fortunately for us it is just a hop, skip and a jump!