Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

The newest additions to the garden

The surprises in our garden continues.


The tulips and daffodils are now all finished flowering and now it's the bluebells' turn, apparently Britain's favourite flower according to BBC. (Scroll down on the BBC page and have a look at the "Slideshow of bluebell pictures" link.)




These pretty little blue flowers have also filled the garden. My mom says they're called "Vergeet-my-nie blomme (flowers)" in Afrikaans. I don't know what the English name is... 
(Last tulips still hanging on in the background.)




This is the vegetable patch, the second one still needs to be built. That's not vegetables growing there. It's weeds... I will be planting the veggie seeds when we get back from holiday next month. I have already planted the aubergine and pepper seeds inside. They like to get a head start inside. I hope they'll be ok while we're gone on holiday as they're going to have to do with less (no) water. My herbs in the pots outside have just started showing some leaves above the soil which is very exciting. Unfortunately I never put labels in the ground and now I'm not sure which is in which pots... Will have to wait and see what is where!

In the background of the veggie patch picture you can see the two sweet pea plants I planted a few weekends ago. I told Andre they will grow up against the fence. He said we've got these bamboo sticks and we should put these in to support the plants. I said ok, whatever you like, but they're actually meant to go up the fence to make the fence look nicer (one will have red flowers and the other white). Then the other day Andre asked me how are the beans doing. I said we don't have beans in the garden. Well, the peas then. No, we've not planted any peas either. We haven't planted any veggies at all yet. Then what are those things I helped you plant over there then? Oh you mean the sweet peas! Sweet peas are flowers, I said, we won't be eating those! 

I think he was just a little disappointed that we won't be growing our own beans or peas this year ;-)


1 comment:

  1. I love blue flowers! They represent "English country garden" to me.

    ReplyDelete