Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Holiday in the BVI: Day 3 & 4



Saturday morning we went to get fuel and fresh water at Leverick dock and had a look around the little shops. We then headed on to Bitter End Marina where we had conch fritters, calamari and cocktails and another look around the local shops.




Then it was off to Eustasia Island where we snorkeled around the island. You can see Eustasia Island on the map. I think it took just under an hour to swim around the whole island. I must admit that I didn't swim all the way. I'm not the strongest swimmer and when I started falling behind my dad gave me a lift in the dinghy to catch up to the others. I then got quite comfortable in the dinghy, chatting to my dad and decided to stay and watch the others swim instead. I mean, I didn't come to the BVI to exert myself in any way.



We did see loads of beautiful fish including rays. Simone and Jonny got some conch out which he and Andre later cleaned on the beach. Colleen then made us a delicious ceviche with the conch as a starter with dinner. Andre decided to skip starters. He didn't feel too good about having had a part in the death of what was to be our starters...

Conch blissfully unaware of what's to come...





But first, back to Eustasia Island. From there, if you are into celebrity spotting, you can see Sir Richard Branson's island, Neckar Island. You can book a stay in his resort on Neckar Island for you and 27 friends which will cost you $54 500 per night. That would be $1946 per person per night. If you don't have that many friends you can book a room only for around $28 000 per couple per week.  

Necker Island

He also owns another island called Moskito Island (spelled Mosquito on the map) where he is planning to create a lemur sanctuary by bringing in 30 Madagascar ring-tail lemurs to live on their own island in the BVI. Lucky lemurs.

After lunch on the boat at Eustasia Island we sailed 12 miles (1hr30) to the island Anegada where we spent the night. Jonny caught half a barracuda on the way there. A special lure which only catches you half a fish is used- for the days when you only want a light lunch. 

Anyone order a barracuda head?

Next morning, Sunday, we took the dinghy to Anegada where we then got a taxi to Cow Wreck Beach.



This beach got its name after a ship carrying cow bones was wrecked off Anegada's northwest coast. You can read the story here. We spent a relaxing morning on the beach, snorkeling, going for walks along the beach, working on our tans and of course sipping cocktails and enjoying more conch fritters. They're good, don't miss out on the conch fritters when you're in the BVI! If you followed the link above you would have seen an aerial picture of Cow Wreck Beach, not much more than a beach bar, beach and coral reefs. Beautiful.






In the afternoon we sailed to Jost van Dyke. A 25 mile trip which took 4 hours sailing. Slowed down a few times by fish being caught, this time more successful as the guys actually caught two whole fish. The first one, a wahoo around 15 lbs, was enough for two dinners for the six of us. The second one, a jack, my dad said was not good for eating so he got to live. I wondered whether all fish caught after the wahoo would be called inedible after I saw what a job it was to skin and fillet a fish... 

wahoo

Jack & Simone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment