Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The last of the sunny weekend: Henley

I better finish off last weekend's posts before the next weekend arrives! Hopefully another sunny one too.


From Trilake Country Park we drove to Henley-on-Thames, another lovely little town along the Thames river. With the weather being so hot we just wanted to be close to water.


We walked along the river, looking for somewhere to have lunch. We only found one restaurant on the river and of course on a hot day like Sunday was, it was very full. We ended up finding a small restaurant on the main road with a garden area to sit in. At least this way we could sit outside under the trees.


A sign on the wall promised that the staff will check on outside tables at least every 15 minutes, but after waiting some time I went inside to fetch menus. After quite some more time, no one came to take our order so I went back inside to place our order. I was also then given a wooden spoon with the number 2 on. The waitress said, "So I would know where to find you." I made sure to explain to her that we were sitting right at the back of the garden in the shade under the trees, because she obviously didn't know where we were and I didn't know how the wooden spoon was suppose to help her.


We all ordered the ploughman's lunch, a platter of cheese and bread with some ham, apple slices, salad, pickles and pickled onions. It was a really nice lunch for a hot day and apparently this is quite a typical English meal.


When we went inside later to pay I read a sign above the bar saying that you should order at the bar. So that explained the lack of service we had! I think we will try somewhere else next time anyway.




This was the most beautiful little boat. I know, it has nothing to do with this story but it was in Henley too and just a beautiful boat!



No comments:

Post a Comment