We drove to Germany on Saturday to spend Christmas with my mom and Jürgen. Then yesterday Andre and I drove to Kitzbühel in Austria for a day skiing. I have never ever had skis on my feet or attempted any other snow related sports. But I had to try since my husband was so excited about skiing.
We had a 3 hour private lesson in Kitzbühel with a great instructor. You'd think 3 hours is not a long time, but it was more than enough for me! I was really tired afterwards and by 9pm last night I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.
We started out learning how to stop which of course is very important and then how to do turns. Like going to the left or right to avoid other skiers. Also important! It was a very very gentle slope where we started.
We were just about alone there in the beginners area for about an hour and a half and then a whole group came with a trainer and I got really nervous. Silvia, our trainer, had just started taking me slightly higher up the slope so I was going just ever so slightly faster and I started feeling that I can't do this. We went for a lunch break at a cosy restaurant right there next to the beginner area.
After lunch I felt better and in the end managed to do 7 left/ right turns in one go. Andre had a great time since he's not scared like I am. There was a rope to hold onto which pulled you up the slope and Andre used this to go right to the top of our area and he did really well.
I thought I'd be falling all over the place but didn't fall once. It's actually not that easy to fall as the boots are quite tight around your ankles and keep you upright. I did have a few moments in the beginning where I thought, why on earth would anyone want to put these long uncomfortable things on their feet and then try and move on the snow?? But it was fun in the end :-)
More photos on facebook.
Estelle says:
ReplyDeleteJy is darem braaf - wonder wat ek sou gedoen het. Geniet dit, dit kan lekker raak en is so mooi daar.
Dit lyk lekker! Thys het ook lekker reggekom met Kitesurf, tot hy gister sy bord verloor het!! Baie sad!! Sal vertel as ek by huis kom. Het nie jou E-mail adres hier nie.
ReplyDeleteElaine