Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mom's Christmas Eve cooking




My mom cooked us an amazing dinner for Christmas Eve.



Here's what she made:

Duck. I love duck. If there's duck on a menu, I don't have to read any further.



And this delicious pork roll.



And then there was this:












This is called Servietten Knödel or serviette dumplings in English, because it literally gets wrapped in a serviette, or rather a dishtowel if the Knödel is too big. I don't know if this recipe is exactly the same as the one my mom used, but it will give you an idea of what goes in this. I know my mom added some fresh parsley and you can spice it up anyway you like. Then it gets wrapped up, tied up and boiled in a pot of water. I liked it!

Of course there were vegetables on our plates too.



And then the dessert:




Roly Poly. It is my husband's favourite. A favourite of his family. And since he couldn't spend Christmas with his family my mom surprised him by getting the original family recipe from his mom and making it for Christmas. He was going to have seconds with the food, but then he saw what we made for dessert and decided he is going straight for dessert instead!




Served with custard. The prefect ending!

3 comments:

  1. Sonder al die hulp sou die ete nie so "n sukses gewees het nie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estelle says: Sowaar, my mond water as ek na alles kyk - wat 'n "formidabele" kok!! Mams het omtrent uitgehang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sarie en Anneliese , dit lyk baie goed!!Ons al julle bespreek vir volgende Kersfees!!!

    ReplyDelete