Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A surprise in my post box

I went to the grocery store this morning and before opening our front door when I got back I always check for mail. I love getting mail! Even the junk mail newspapers and ads. I don't get much else and I've now got loads of time to read all the ads. And besides getting excited about the junk mail we are eagerly awaiting our permits. It's been 2 1/2 months now since we applied...

Anyway so this morning when I got back the post box is empty. But wait, what's that I hear? Could it be Mr Postman's scooter? Ah yes it is! Here he comes around the corner on his yellow scooter! I greet him and watch him place envelopes in the other peoples post boxes. Am I going to have to go upstairs empty handed? No wait, the last envelope is a BIG brown one. Something interesting... "Does this belong to you?" I assume he asks. "Yes that's me! Thank you very much."

I rush upstairs with my big interesting envelope (and the free newspaper he gave me) wanting to keep it a surprise, but I can't help myself, I peep at the stamps and the address written in German. Can only be my mother! Yes it is!

So are you also curious to know what's inside? Shall I open it?

It's a magazine!!! Yippee! I've been longingly looking at the magazines here while I wait for a train. All in German... A few times I've considered buying one because I miss buying magazines once in a while and it would improve my German, I tell myself. But then I also tell myself, you know you'll probably just end up looking at the pictures because it takes too much effort having to read a sentence three times to get what it's about.

Here it is. That's my name right there on the envelope:
Frau Anneliese Mostert

This one my mom sent me is a South African magazine. My mom must have bought it before she left Cape Town. I'm going to enjoy this! The last magazine she brought me when they came to visit last month I read like I've never read any magazine before. I read each and every page, not skipping a single article. I even read the adverts. I knew it might be a while until I get another magazine so I savored it and made it last for weeks.

Dankie Ma! Ek gaan die een geniet!
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Hey, you know, if you ever want to get English or International magazines, try looking at the bigger "Kiosk" newsstands. I get my husband his weekly dose of Newsweek and Time and/or National Geographic whenever I'm at the Hauptbahnhof. Sometimes, the Kiosks of 'bigger suburb's (in my case, Oerlikon) train stations offer a small selection of English magazines too, if you look hard enough, or before they're sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely look harder next time. Maybe I haven't been to the right kiosk yet! I'll make a point of it when I get to HB next time. That's great news! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. het jy gesien hoe goedkoop dit is om tydskrifte te bestel wat hulle pos? die weg kos iets soos R300...

    ReplyDelete