My sister, Simóne, has been visiting me for the past week over Christmas. She has been living in California for 10 years now and has picked up many American habits - one of which is entering every Starbucks we pass to buy a coffee which never tastes like coffee.
On Thursday evening we were on our way to the train station when we passed yet another Starbucks. She had to go in. We had to choose between missing our train and buying Starbucks and of course Starbucks won.
Andre and I waited outside and had fun watching the young guy behind the counter trying to keep up with Simóne. Here's how the conversation they had inside went:
(Imagine her with her very American accent in a small British coffee shop.)
Simóne: I would like a tall-skinny-caramel-nut-brulée-extra-hot-latte. (Said very fast.)
English Starbucks guy: What is that?
Simóne: Oh, maybe you don't have it, it's a limited edition one we have in America.
English Starbucks guy: Well, if you tell me what's in it I can try and make it for you
Simóne: You need the Caramel nut brulée syrup.
English Starbucks guy: Maybe if you come back next year we will have it...
I like the way you just said that though, we're trained to take orders like that, but I've never heard anyone say it like you just did. (He means said in that order and really fast.)
Simóne, smiling: In that case I will just take a skinny peppermint mocha.
English Starbucks guy: Would you like whipped cream with that?
Simóne: No, because I want it skinny.
English Starbucks guy: Sometimes people here order a skinny with cream to balance out the calories.
Simóne: Oh. Ok, no cream thanks.
English Starbucks guy: Here you go then. I like your accent by the way!
I think he went home telling his friends he finally had a real American order at Starbucks!

Love it :)
ReplyDeleteLoL!!! Dis fantasties!!!! Het dit baie geniet. Moet se, vanuit 'n koffie verslaafde se oogpunt, verstaan ek HEELTEMAL. Koffie is BAIE belangriker as om betyds 'n trein te haal.
ReplyDeleteSoos altyd, geniet jou blog vreeslik BAIE!!!
@ Rhea: Thanks for the comment! Have found your blog now too and will do some reading later!
ReplyDelete@Isolet: Dankie, bly jy geniet die blog :-)