Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

My first time driving in Switzerland

This afternoon André let me drive his car for the first time.

Before we left South Africa I said that I want to start driving as soon as possible here to get used to it. I felt that the longer I would put it off the harder it would be. But since we got the car I felt no urge to be driving on the other (wrong!) side of the road to what I've been used to. I was quite happy sitting in the passenger seat and admiring the scenery.

Then this afternoon we drove to where I have to teach some English classes this coming week. I thought I could maybe cycle there. Google maps said it's 25 min walking (no bus..) but as we drove we realized it's way further than I thought. So André said he thinks I should take the car.

Good motivation for me to get this over with! I drove home from the school (9 minutes, not too far!). Then I drove there and back again to get used to it.

It felt soooo wrong!! This being on the other side. I keep wanted to change gears with my left hand. That's another thing, after André just got me to start enjoying his automatic car in SA, he decides he actually prefers to manually change gears. I should be used to that because it's the only way I've known but with so many other things to think of he had to keep reminding me about the gears!

I thought it would be hard keeping to the right side of the road. Seems I don't have a problem with that - I actually keep to the right too much!! André kept telling me to get closer to the white line in the middle of the road!

It's so frustrating. It's not like I can't drive, I've had my license now for over 11 years, but it felt like I'm just learning to drive all over again. That nervous feeling, trying to remember everything and to keep your eyes everywhere.

Oh I miss getting into our nice and comfortable car we had back home which I knew so well and just driving off where ever I needed to go. Zipping around. I could even sing while driving, drink water, change the music or have a conversation (not all at the same time). Now I sit almost with my nose against the windscreen, concentrating. It's not the car, André bought a really nice car and I love it. It's just this different country...

But it will get better with time and practise. I will be the driver on Sundays for short outings when there's not much traffic around. And I will set the navigator to keep away from highways too.


2 comments:

  1. Are you afraid of the highways as well?
    Speed just makes me thoroughly nervous (I consider cycling a speed-y activity, and that makes me a bigger nervous wreck!)...
    But I'm sure with these Sunday practises, you'll be zipping around like a Swiss driver in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it Anni! Before you know it you'll be zipping around Switzerland easily, and Andre will be fighting for his turn with the car;)
    XXX Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete