Our flight from Barbados finally left at 8am and we got to Grenada around 9. Last hiccup in our journey: when we got to the immigration desk the lady wanted to know where we'll be staying. I had filled in yacht Madiba but she wanted to know which marina the yacht was in and I didn't even know any marina's name so couldn't even make something up. I explained that we have a taxi waiting to take us to the yacht. I didn't know then that my dad and sister were actually outside waiting for us since 6.30 am already! The guy went out to check that there really was someone waiting for us and after a while came back to say yes it's fine we can go.
So we finally made it!
We had the most amazing first snorkel here. In a bay artists have placed sculptures under water. You swim around trying to find as many as you can. They are all over. At first it feels creepy when you suddenly come across a ring of people standing under water. They look so real and are life size. They are slaves tied together. We find a guy on a bicycle, a woman on her knees praying, people lying face down in the sand. Statues of people that is of course. We find a mermaid and my dad swims down and places his mask and snorkel on her for a photo. Then a bench and everyone with a long enough breath swims down to sit on it while Andre videos.
The fish here are amazing too. So so many and they're so big! The parrot fish are all huge. Bigger than I've ever seen and so are the blue tangs. I've never seen them so big. We see a school of squid. They always hang round in a line. Strange. I don't know why they do that.
Then we come across a man sitting at a desk and again my dad swims down to have a chat with him at his desk.
Apparently there is also a statue of a pirate which we didn't find. We start swimming back to the boat when another boat arrives with loads of people. Along the reef my goggles start fogging up for the second time, making it hard to see much so I swim ahead back to the boat. I'll need to clean it with some toothpaste. That helped last time when the anti-fog sea drops didn't do the job. Right before I reach the boat a school of (again larger than I've seen before) bait fish swim right at me as though something's chasing them. They change direction when they get close and spot me. It's a real privilege to be in the water with all these beautiful creatures.
Bly julle het veilig aangekom! Moet nogal bietjie snaaks voel om so tussen die standbeelde te duik! xx
ReplyDelete