Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Back in the garden

I hope you enjoyed all the blogging the past two weeks. I'm afraid it'll probably dwindle down to monthly blog posts again about the garden and our part time cat. Andre and I do have a few projects in mind which should keep this little blog of mine a bit more interesting hopefully!

I'm hard at work editing the video of our holiday. Although I keep asking myself why I took so much video! Now I have to sift through it all to show you the best bits. I must have taken at least an hour's worth of clips or more, I'm not sure really, but need to cut it down to around 3 minutes to make a watchable little movie. In the meantime I made this one before dinner tonight of Jürgen flying his helicopters while we were there last week. ('there' would have been Germany)





The sun was out today. Our garden has been in desperate need of attention. I said to Andre today it feels as though gardening is just all about weeding. Like the weeds have this competition going to see who is faster: us pulling them out or them growing back again. They are frequently in the lead.



I picked the last acorn squash today. Actually there's still one small one left, but I'm not sure if it's planning to do any more growing. In the picture you can see the squash plants on the left. Next to them I planted something else but I'm not sure anymore what it was... I think it might be courgettes. It's either last year's courgette seeds that didn't amount to much then or it's the cucumber seeds I got for free. I planted it really really late and am surprised at how big they've grown. I didn't expect anything to happen there, just thought I'll stick the seeds in the ground since I had some space to fill. I was either thinking I'll just give the courgette seeds another go or I planted the cucumber seeds not thinking anything will happen this late. I don't like cucumber much. But as you can see they've gotten quite big. There are a few flowers. I considered pulling them all out this morning. There was just so much weeds all over and it's difficult cleaning under those big leaves. Andre, the one who is always pulling every plant he finds out of the ground, said I should leave them and see what happens.


I had to throw away the radishes as they had gotten too big. They are so easy to grow and you have to really watch them so they don't get to big. You've got to get them out and eat them while they're still small. Apparently they taste better that way. I wouldn't know, I don't like radishes either. The second batch of salad leaves survived amongst the weeds. They're still there, but are not doing much growing anymore. I need to plant some in pots in the green house. The fennel seems happy. (You can see them in the back left hand corner behind that little pot.) The first batch is big and we really should try some of it. I keep putting it off because I don't really know what to do with it! I've even planted a second batch so must really decide how we're going to eat it!

Oh I forgot all about the tomatoes today, I will show you a picture next time. They're all in the greenhouse and still doing well. You should be able to see them in the picture above if you click to enlarge it) I was surprised at how well they survived in there while we were away. The peppers and chillies are in there too and still going strong. I harvested what there was before we left and we're using the chillies in most dinners now. They're not really very hot. The green peppers I sliced and froze. Not sure if there will be much more as I don't think we'll be seeing much more warm sunshine.

We bought some bulbs last week. Tulips in red and yellow and I can't remember which other colours. I wanted to plant them today but was so tired by the time we finished. 

Ok, let me try finish the video editing. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Mooi video-clip wat julle vd heli's gemaak het! Die gras is net baaaie lank!
    Fennel - ek sny dit in slaai of gebruik dit in ratatouille(spelling??). Dis lekker saam met die courgettes en paprika, tamatie en uie of sommer net saam met 1 vd bogenoemdes opgekook. Of met bietjie bacon sukkies. Hang maar af of mens vd smaak hou - ek kan sommer sulke groot rou stukke eet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estelle says: Ai die speelgoed! Lekker om tuin skoon te maak en terug te sit en na jou werk te kyk!

    ReplyDelete