Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apples and pears

I suspect you will all soon be quite bored hearing about the various fruit in our garden. Don't worry, it will soon be winter and will all be over then!


It's been a bit rainy this afternoon and while Andre's been out diving all day today and yesterday I took some time off too, reading on the sofa and having afternoon naps. I really don't usually do that.

When I got up just now I noticed it had stopped raining for a bit and spotted some pears on the ground below the pear tree. I rushed out to pick what wasn't ready for picking last week. Don't want to be losing out on any pears!



The pear tree is not as big as the apple tree yet. Not nearly. I have now picked all the pears except for three sitting right at the top which I can't reach. (What you see in the bag is about a third of what I've already picked.) They will stay in the fridge now for two weeks as I read they need to be kept cold for a bit in order to ripen. Then they get to sit out on the counter to warm up again and if they're still not ripe they will be spending some quality time with some of the apples who will help them along.

Did you spot another something green next to the bag? That is the one and only zucchini we managed to grow!! And it is tiny. See:


They just didn't get enough sun. Firstly it wasn't a very sunny summer and secondly they were in quite a shady spot in the garden at the previous house. Will try again next season.

And the bag Andre's dad and Marietjie brought from Borough Market filled with goodies from when they were in London a few months ago. It's now my fruit picking bag, I don't have a basket, and lives at the back door next to our wellies.

No comments:

Post a Comment