I really miss going to gym so we've been to visit a few gyms here to see which we'd like to join and find out what it would cost.
First we went to the Leisure Centre down the road from us. We can walk there in less than 5 minutes so it's conveniently close. Before I tell you about the gym I have to tell you a funny story. Andre and I went there one Sunday afternoon to have a look around. There was only one lady at reception who gave us the brochures with prices and asked if we'd be okay to have a look around ourselves as they don't have many staff on a Sunday to show us around. She explained to go up stairs, walk along until we get to more stairs and then take those stairs down which would bring us back to reception.
So off we go down corridors, not seeing anything resembling a gym yet. Then I see stairs at the end of the corridor and assume that's where we're meant to go down and maybe then we'll see the actual gym. I notice it's an emergency exit, but you know some places use these stairs as everyday stairs too. So we go down the stairs, but then at the bottom the door won't open. No problem, it must be the wrong stairs so we walk back upstairs. Again the door won't open! It's one of those one way doors where you have to press the handle down on the inside to open, but there's no handle on the other side! So we were stuck on the staircase!! (I now check for handles on both sides of doors.)
I remember that I've got all the brochures in my hand so start looking for the gym's phone number so we can phone reception to come and free us from the stairs. I read the number to Andre, but he accidentally dials a number incorrectly. Without realising this he thinks he's gotten through to reception and is explaining how we were just down there at reception and came to see the gym, but are now stuck on the staircase. The lady says, "I think you have the wrong number. This is the police station." hahahaha Now Andre's number is probably listed as a prank caller in Yateley!
Luckily just then one of the members walked past. We knocked on the glass door and gestured to him to come and open it.
I'm a bit scared to join this gym now out of fear of getting lost and locked up there.
Anyway, about this gym and most other Leisure Centres I would assume (we've seen two). It is not what I'm used to. I'm used to vibey large open space, bright colours, music playing and people working out hard. This one, not so. Lots of small rooms, few equipment, small studio, lots of corridors, and few people working out. And silence. I suppose in a country which does not require you to really ever appear in a bathing suit there is not as much motivation for exercise...
We went to another gym near Andre's office which he has been to before when he lived here. This one was more like what I was used to at Virgin Active in South Africa. Friendly, motivated staff, energetic vibe, larger spaces and more equipment. With TV screens. Not that that is important, but if I'm going to pay the money I want them to have the up to date equipment I've been used to.
Only thing is this gym is a 25 minute drive from where we live. And it's a little more expensive too. They did say they would contact us again and see if they can make us a better offer. If they can offer the same or less than the leisure centre maize next door then I think I might drive there.
Sorry now photos today. Were to stressed out on the stairs to think of taking photos and had a tour guide at the nicer gym.
I would opt for the gym closer to me....Mens kan gou lui raak vir die trip. Alhoewel, in Melkbos het ons na T.View toe gery. En jy het darem wiele....
ReplyDelete