Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

One cocktail too many

Friday night Andre decided we should go out for dinner. We took the train in to Zürich and booked a table at Restaurant Zum Kropf.

Many many years ago, as in 1444, this used to be a private residence. It's stunning inside, really something to see. The food was super.

Andre had the roasted pork knuckle

and I had boar which was on the seasonal menu.

But before the food came some cocktails. After making the booking at the restaurant- which was a good thing as it was the last available table- we walked around, passed a place with the word "bar" on the window and went inside for some pre-dinner drinks. We discovered a really great bar- the Widder Bar, one of the World's Best Bars, I now read. It's beautiful inside, like dark red leather and a long shiny wooden bar. Very classy ;-) There was someone playing the piano and on Wednesday nights they have Jazz performances. The bar is sooo well stocked. Bottles and bottles of anything you can imagine. Over 500 varieties of spirits and 250 different types of whiskey. And then the cocktails... They were amazing. The best cocktails I've ever had.

I had (a few) pina coladas

and mojitos. My two favourite cocktails and I can tell you I have never had better anywhere else. The service is also amazing, great bar tenders, really quick to notice if you need anything and very friendly. It's the kind of place where someone opens the door for you before you can reach out to open it yourself, if you know what I mean. (And someone really did.)

So Andre and I each had two cocktails, then it was time for dinner. After dinner we phoned some friends and they joined us at the same bar again for some more cocktails. We got home after 3am! (You see, it was that good!) Even later than our previous latest night out here! And of course it took us half of Saturday to recover... We were going to buy beer on Saturday, but neither of us could face any more alcohol so soon after all we had on Friday night!

We spent the rest of Saturday shopping and Andre got me to try on some ski suits. I must say it did get me a tiny little bit more excited for skiing. We didn't buy anything yet because we don't really know what we should be looking for in a good ski suit, but I did like this jacket with its fluffy fur ;-)

PS Please excuse the poor photo quality in this post, I cleverly left my camera at home so had to use my phone.

5 comments:

  1. I love me a good cocktail... *makes note to check this place out* Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were lucky enough to discover the Widder Bar on our first visit. It has a huge list of single malts, including rare expressions. Yummy! Great cocktails too, lots of gin drinks show up as specials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded like a great evening, erm, night out! Those cocktails look lip-smacking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a sporting outlet near Zurich HB that might be good for your ski jacket shopping. It's called the Transa Outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments everyone, so nice to hear from you!
    Chantal, thanks for letting me know about that sporting outlet, we're going in to Zurich this morning so I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete