Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Chalkboard wall art

I have been missing here on the blog for a long time, I know! Since starting work, pretty much all of my free time during the day goes to working, so while Isabella is asleep I work and when she's awake I don't get to do much else but play with her. But today Isabella's nanny is staying an extra hour, I've done what I can for work so I have a few minutes to blog for a change. And I've been meaning to show you our new chalk board wall for nearly three months now.

We've been so indecisive about what to hang on the walls until Andre came up with the idea of painting a section of the wall behind the dining table with chalkboard paint. When buying the paint I actually learnt that you can change any paint into chalkboard paint. I think the guy at the shop said they can mix something into it. But we decided we liked the contrast of the black wall and white chalk on it.

Now I regularly change the board to go with the season or holidays or events.

Here's our first Autumn scene I did in November.


A Christmas scene for December.



And a winter scene for January. We'll see how long winter lasts. When there are enough spring flowers out it will be time to change the board again.



Painting your chalkboard is pretty straight forward. We measured and taped out the area we decided to paint, comparing distance from floor and ceiling to get it as straight as possible. Then we painted three coats straight onto the clean wall. You then need to leave it to cure for three days before covering the entire board with chalk by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over it. Wipe clean with a dry cloth and it's ready to use.






2 comments:

  1. Estelle says: Dit is sowaar pragtig gedoen - mal oor die tekeninge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jy is baie kreatief! OUlike idees en goed geteken!

    ReplyDelete