Today I'm going to cook these apples. We have a big apple tree in our garden and it is loaded with apples. They don't taste very good and Andre doesn't trust anything from out garden in his fruit salad but that's not going to stop me. I will turn them into good tasting apple creations. I think they're cooking apples and not eating apples. I want to try out some new recipes to see what can be done with apples. And I'm going to start with apple pie. I know, not such a creative start and actually I've made this one before, but I really feel like some apple pie. With cream. And I've only ever used tinned apples so cooking my own apples beforehand will be the new part.
Every day apples fall from our tree. We don't pick them up very often. We just let them be. The cat likes to sniff the apples in the evenings. This morning I came downstairs and I looked out the window and the apples on the lawn were all lying in a very neat pile.
![]() |
| See the apples all in a neat pile there? |
![]() |
| Have a closer look. Well trained apples. They fall like that. They know their place in this garden. |
Andre was downstairs a while before me. I asked him if he collected all the apples like that. He said no. It was quite windy and there's some tornado type thing happening across the ocean. I thought maybe we had a teeny little tornado of our own which whirled the apples all together like that.
Right away I realised that's just silly. It can't be. I was still puzzled though.
Me: Andre, it was you wasn't it?
Andre: (busy on his computer) No.
Me: It couldn't have been that cat... (Thinking to myself. Luckily not out loud.)
Me: It must have been you.
Andre: No, I haven't been out there yet.
Me: mmm. It was you.
It was him. It took me a minute or two to work through all the options.
Now I must also tell you, and Andre's mom will know what I'm talking about now, the weekend we moved in here we had a couple of weird "gates being left open" moments. In the end it was just one of us thinking the other closed the gate while that person didn't and then it being discovered open the next morning. It happened twice with the gate, once was the Sky installation guy's fault (yes we had some blue sky installed above our house) and another time with the shed door too. So this too came back to me when I saw the apples like that. I thought maybe there was a spooky gate something which now also rakes up our apples.
Anyway. Excuse me. I have to go pick me some apples now.
I'm not crazy. Really.




Ai Annneliese, ek het nou se lekker gelag vir die storie, maar terselfdertyd so 'n koue rilling op my rug gevoel - gedink - se nou maar net......! Die hekkie storie is verstaanbaar, maar die appels wat so bymekaar val. Wel, ek het op 'n appelplaas grootgeword en nog nie so iets belewe nie. Hoop jy snuffel die 'spookie storie' uit. Die tuin lyk pragtig. Lekker dag!
ReplyDelete